Saturday, May 14, 2011

Langka Hotcakes

              One of my favorite fruit is Langka (jackfruit). Especially when it’s ripe, its distinct smell and flavor made me to crave. I only ate langka in halo-halo in summer and ginataan on a rainy day.

                Fortunately, a family friend of ours brought us a gigantic jackfruit.  I wonder how my father carries it on bare hands. Aside from its spikes, the langka was so huge and heavy. As my father slowly cut it, the unique smell suffuses around the house. Sobrang nakakagutom.  I can’t wait to take a bite on the succulent yellow langka.

                While watching the showtime finals, I decided to prepare a merienda. Instead of eating a regular pancake, I use the langka meat to add a new twist.

                To make it easier I use the Pilsburry™ one-step creamy vanilla hotcake mix. I started preheating a non-stick pan on low fire to prevent burn.  In a medium size container, I put the dry ingredients (100g pilsbrurry™ hotcake mix, 2 table spoons powdered milk, 1 table spoon sugar) and add ¾ cup water. Mix the batter until the large lumps disappear. Pour the batter on the pan, the amount will depends on your desire size. Add the chopped langka meat on the hotcake. After a minute or until the bubbles break on top, turn over and cook for another minute or until the other side is golden brown. Then it’s done.


 
Let’s start plating, put the hot cake on a round plate brush it margarine and sprinkled it with sugar. Do it again, on top of the other hot cake. I made up to 4 servings of hot cakes. I garnished the last hot cake with chopped langka and sprinkled it with more sugar.




  YUM! It’s like a tower of pancakes. It was my first time to experiment Langka in a major major way (lol), and I’m very satisfied with what I’ve done. I took a small bite and I was very impressed with Langka.  The sweetness of langka is a good substitute for Honey. It adds chunkiness and balances the vanilla flavor of the hot cakes. What else could I ask for?.. I paired it with a glass of cold soda (coca-cola) to bring more happiness! J

0 comments:

Post a Comment